Thursday, November 21, 2013

Tri Tip Pie!!!

Hit a high of 32° yesterday!!!! Woke up this morning to 15°!!! BRRRR. So this meal was a perfect leftover for the weather!!!!

I decided that I would make Smokey Au Jus after smoking the Oh Heavenly Tri tip.

I used this recipe from Chef JimmyJ. I modified it to include the beer, I used Deschutes Black Butte porter. To start I trim the fat off the Tri tip and render it down then add beef broth and beer. Simmer that in the smoker for 30 minutes. Remove the fat and add the other ingredients, return to the smoker for a hour, or until veggies are soft.



Smokey Au Jus

1- Lg Onion,
4-5 Carrots,
3-4 Ribs Celery
3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic
Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,
THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,
One 12 oz beer

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,
1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)
1-2 ea Bayleaf


So that brings us to tonight's dinner. I had left over Tri-tip, the veggies from the Au Jus, and left over Au Jus. With the snow falling and the wind blowing I decided that these ingredients would make a great Shepard's Pie.


Chopped veggies from the Au Jus! Onions, garlic, carrots, and celery.



Tri-tip diced and ready



Simmering down the Au Jus with the veggies and Tri-tip.



Pie filled and topped with taters and brushed with paprika butter.



Out of the 400* oven, nice and golden brown.



MMMMM!!!








What can I say, Fantastic! All in one meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment