Thursday, May 2, 2013

Acid Rain Hot Wings

Smokin Hot!!!

Acid rain is my version of fire water. Fire water is a popular condiment from Hawaii.
I typically make this using fresh Thai Chiles and if I can get them Hawaiian Chiles. Since I was lucky enough to receive a bag full of dehydrated Habanero peppers I thought I'd experiment a little and see how it goes. The recipe is very basic and simple. I typically make a double batch as that fills a quart mason jar. My Island friends make theirs in empty condiment squeeze bottles. So here is the single batch recipe:

8-16 fresh Hawaiian Chile peppers sliced (I substituted 16 or so of the dried habaneros)
2 cloves garlic sliced
2 tsp rice vinegar (I substituted plain vinegar)
2 tsp Hawaiian salt ( I substituted kosher and added about a 1/2 tsp more)
2 cups hot, but not boiling water

Put the peppers garlic salt and vinegar in the jar. Muddle together with the fat end of a chop stick or similar item. Add water cover and set on counter overnight. Put in fridge the next day.


For the wings I injected the chilled acid rain into them, allowed them to marinate for a couple of hours. Dusted them with chipotle powder, habanero dust, garlic, salt and pepper. I smoked them at 250* for an hour and then grilled them directly on the coals to crisp up the skin. I also did a mild batch that were injected with soy, garlic, and ginger.



Smokin away




Crisping up the skin


The hot ones!!!


The not so hot ones!




No comments:

Post a Comment